Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Fence

All my life I’ve been told, with such a great intense
Careful where you wander and never cross the fence!

Not quite sure what that meant, I ran around all day
Carelessly and worry free, I would go and play.

Times were good, so was I; I never saw the fence
What was all the worry for? It did not make sense.

But we know that time will change; you know, so did I
When I finally saw the fence, I wondered “why.”

Why all of the worry? Why is there so much fuss?
And what’s the reason for it, do they not trust us?

So little by little, and slowly, but for sure
I made my way to the fence and jumped up on her.

What’s so bad about this? It’s actually kind of nice
The view is great, I’m fine, I think it will suffice.

On my throne I sat, for I had the world to see
I did nothing wrong, why were people mad at me?

I had not crossed the fence, I merely took a seat
Can’t tell what side I’m on? Take a look at my feet!

I’ll show them, I though, I can venture on my own
With that I got down and began to feel alone.

Alone? Over here? How could that possibly be?
There’s people all around, as far as eye can see!

Through the crowd I wandered, wondering where to stay
Further from the fence, wrong direction, day by day.

‘Til one day I realized, this place is not for me
I’ll just turn around, hop the fence, and be home free.

I turned around to face it, but froze in my track
I did not see the fence, nor knew how to get back.

How could this be, I thought, I cannot be that far
Yet I used no compass, not even a firm star.

I had no goal, creed, or even a place in mind
I aimlessly wandered, seeing what I could find.

Nothing, Nothing, NOTHING! That’s what I thought at first
I now know how good water is to those that thirst.

I was wrong to cross the fence, I can’t argue that
But at least I wandered from the place that I once sat.

So where am I now? I’m still wandering hence
But what a glorious day when I find the fence!


By Aaron Michael

1 comment:

  1. Aaron that was fantastic and really moving,keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete